Stone house near McAfee Station rests on land originally owned by the McAfee family, pioneer settlers of Mercer County. George McAfee, Sr. received a land grant of 1,400 acres in 1781 from then-Virginia governor Benjamin Harrison. Shortly after, five brothers from the McAfee family left Botetourt County, Virginia, and established McAfee Station, about five miles north of Harrodsburg.
Courier-Journal August 14, 1898
James McAfee, built a stone hall-parlor house on the site of McAfee Station (currently on the Talmage-Mayo Road). According to local history, the home was “modeled after the family home in Curmagh, Ireland.” This house was built in the early 1790s.
Post a Comment