Wednesday, August 19, 2020

James B. Haggin Memorial Hospital

Photo from the Armstrong Archives

The above 1948 photograph shows the first bricks being ceremoniously laid for the Mercer General Hospital on Linden Avenue.  Among those present were Maurice Watts (far left), Dr. Condit VanArsdall (fourth from left), and Mrs. Anna Bohn (laying brick).  The others are unidentified.  

Photo from the Armstrong Archives

The hospital was renamed the James B. Haggin Memorial hospital in 1956 after receiving a donation from the Haggin family.  It is Harrodsburg’s third hospital building and is located on the site of the famous Graham Springs Spa, which had many trees that had been planted at that time, but have since been cut down for hospital expansion.

Photo from the Armstrong Archives

This 1949 photograph shows a group of nurses posing for the camera at the nurses’ station in the new Mercer General Hospital, later renamed Haggin Memorial Hospital.  They are identified, left to right:  Louise Stopher, Lyda Cornelius, Linnie Merriman, unidentified, Mary Utley, Nellie Watts, and Darcie Millard.

Photo from the Armstrong Archives

Posing on the steps of the new Mercer General Hospital in 1949 were the staff nurses.  They are from top to bottom:  Mary Utley, Mrs. Wampler, Lyda Todd Cornelius, Louise Stopher, Linnie Merriman, Darcie Millard, and Nellie Watts.

Photo from the Armstrong Archives

Posing in the above picture at the 1964 groundbreaking ceremony are the doctors on staff at Haggin Hospital.  They are from left to right:  Dr. Bob Ballard, Dr. G. T. Ballard, Dr. George Ballard, Dr. Ralph Ballard.  Dr. James Keightly, Dr. Conit VanArsdall, Dr. Carter VanArsdall, Dr. Mahaffey, Dr. T. O. Meredith, Dr. Bacon Moore, and Dr. John Baughman.

Photo from the Armstrong Archives

This photograph was taken at the 1964 groundbreaking ceremony for the new Anna Elliott Bohon wing at the Haggin Memorial Hospital.  Mrs. Bohon is shown with the shovel and assisting her is hospital board chairman Maurice Watts.  The ceremony was attended by local civic leaders and citizens who were proud to be able to honor Bohon for her years of service to Harrodsburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mt. Pleasant Church

Photo by Jerry L. Sampson The above photograph and the following description are from the Harrodsburg Holiday Homes Tour 2013: "In 1836...